Monolithic Transformation - Seven Years of Learning
This is a presentation I give covering how large organizations get better at software. I divide it up into three parts: changing development, operations, and addressing legacy software.
Here are the slides.
And here things I reference in the talk and further reading:
- Here’s the good places to start to learn more about VMware Tanzu’s app modernization methods: “Decompose monoliths using business workflows," Prashanth ‘PB’ Belathur, Oct 2022; “Event Storming,” Tanzu Practice Guides; “Boris,” Tanzu Practice Guides.
- For a mainframe example: “An Architecture Path to Mainframe Modernization,” Fouad Hamdi, May, 2022.
- Also, see my presentation on Escaping the Legacy trap and the free booklet.
- The report on how to do a developer toil audit it a good start for figuring out where you can start making things better.
- To learn more about platforms, check out my platform as a product talk and related stuff.
- Finally, I’ve written several books on this topic: Monolithic Transformation, The Business Bottleneck, and Changing Mindsets.