I don’t know. The title is pretty comprehensive.
Nevertheless: What platform operations and “platform as a product” means, how it differs from existing ops, and why it’s so. Also, some “therefore, do these things” tactics.
- Boskey interviews, part 01 and part 02.
Pivotal Labs helps you build your platform operations team. Whitepaper.
- Chargebacks episode – Tanzu Talk: The thrilling world of chargebacks, or, the dangers thereof – YouTube
- “The Brilliant Practice of Balanced Platform Teams “ – good talk on the roles and mindset of platform ops teams.
- Measuring ROI and Driving Adoption of TAS in an Enterprise – TD Ameritrade talk on financial metrics for platform ops teams.
00:00:00 – Why “platform operations” is a new idea, how things are different.
02:03:07 – Benefits/drivers for platform operations: (1.) centralizing and standardizing is more efficient, better , and, (2.) fits with cloud native development desires.
04:00:09 – Surveys say platform operations works well.
06:18:07 – What the team does, their primary goals.
09:15:23 – When to start at platform ops team.
10:18:13 – What does the team “own.”
12:50:21 – Product management for developers.
16:42:11 – Starter platform product management questions.
19:53:06 – Long term commitments.
23:36:08 – Own the dev tools infrastructure.
26:42:15 – Scaling to the rest of the (large) organization: start small.
26:42:15 – Progress metrics, esp. financial/budget metrics.
28:43:02 – Plan for lots of consulting with developers
31:49:15 – Sidebar: Americans are cheap.
32:36:18 – Metrics: platform ROI.
34:02:07 – Metrics: business improvement & time-to-market.
36:00:16 – Attributes of platform ops staff.
36:30:26 – Skills gaps, you must train people.
38:14:25 – CTA.
40:44:25 – Bye, bye!
- Learn kubernetes more better: kube.academy.
- Learn the Tanzu development way: tanzu.vmware.com/developer
- See cote.pizza for more as well, including getting that workshop.