Apple has put out three new things – the phone, the watch, and the OS – which we discuss. And then Oracle announced it’s destroying Amazon, which is fun. We start it all off with a word-salad of the usual nonsense and deodorant talk.
- Check out cote.io/pivotal for free books, free cloud time, etc.
- Come to DellEMCWorld on Oct 18th to 20th, in Austin. I’ll be speaking there.
- There’s also the annual vBBQ event, Oct 17th at the Salt Like. Pivotal is sponsoring (check out my CORPORATE AMEX, BITCHES!). Come to it, it’s mostly free-ish.
- For more DevOps awesomeness, join the Chef Community Summit, October 26th and 27th in Seattle, WA. This Open Space event provides a great opportunity to connect with the DevOps Community and Chef Engineers over two days of engaging sessions and hallway discussions. Bring your ideas, passion and excitement for Chef and DevOps to this highly interactive event. Go to summit.chef.io to register for this awesome event and use the code PODCAST to get 10% off your ticket!
- Try rebooting.
- Can’t get Apple Watch thing to work. Bartender broke-dick.
- What have you done for me lately, FREE SOFTWARE?
- (Just freed up 15 gigs of space with the storage optimizer, so, there’s that.)
- Also, ordered a ~$1,000 phone today. JESUS!
- Another way to find big files on OS X.
- YubiKey support for OSX
Oracle is gonna cream AWS. Wait, wut?
- Lydia has a good write-up. She’s a bit wry, you know.
- This is like the 3rd or 4th go at it.
- To be an apologist: doing cloud is freakin’ hard. Maybe Oracle should try being less of a jerk rhetorically though? It’s help with their credibility.
- Ben Thompson is on the case
BONUS LINKS! Not covered in show.
This week in tech PE
Microservices – Please don’t
- Maybe microservices ain’t all they’re cracked up to be
- 5 “truths” (spoiler, maybe not)
- It keeps the code cleaner
- It’s easy to write things that only have one purpose
- They’re faster than monoliths
- It’s easy for engineers to not all work in the same codebase
- It’s the simplest way to handle autoscaling, plus Docker is in here somewhere
- This piece by my man Kenny is ball-exploding awesome.
Too Old to Code?
- Tim Bray is old and codes.
- “That’s fine for you, Marge, but I used to rock and roll all night and party every day. … Now I’m lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky.”. – Homer Simpson
- Brandon: Reminders App
- Matt: Usual Suspects; also, my wife’s blog
- Coté: Logitech Keys-To-Go Ultra-Portable Bluetooth Keyboard for Tablets, Red – $37.90 at Amazon: only 16 left in stock! GOOD PRICE! Also, don’t get Fantastical…if you’re like me.