This week we discuss Rackspace going private and the OpenStack cloud scenarios that could have been. We also cover Matt Ray’s first trip to New Zealand where, sadly, he finds no Power Ranger monuments. Also, a little bi-modal flavor for ya.
Check out the full show notes (https://cote.io/sdt70) for links to the recommendations, conferences, and tech news items we didn’t get to cover.
- On August 31st, come hear about launching your cloud strategy and why multi-cloud matters with myself, an analyst, and an actual enterprise user of all this stuff. Register and watch it for free!
- I have a discount code for Operability.IO, September 19th and 20th in London. I hear good things about this conference; check out their talks from last year. It has a good list of speakers, including our very own Casey West. You can 10% off registration if you use the code COTEMEMOOIO16.
Check out https://cote.io/promos/ for more – free books, free cloud time, etc.
- Interested in speeding your software’s cycle time, reducing release cycles, and a resilient cloud platform? Check out the free ebook on Cloud Foundry or take Cloud Foundry for a test drive with Pivotal Web Services. See those and other things at cote.io/pivotal.
- See cote.io/promos for a full list of all the deals “mid-roll” stuff currently going on.
RAX goes private for $4.3bn
OpenStack dead, again.
- “Tough times ahead”.
- “There was a time when it was hard to read an article about OpenStack without hearing about ‘pets vs. cattle,’ and OpenStack was designed to herd cattle”
- “It has itself become a big, complex pet, which is why Mirantis and others can make a living providing services, software and training.”
- What could have happened: (1.) “we can beat AWS,” or, (2.) “containers, shoulda thought of that.”
Innovation is hard, esp. business-wise
- How could you compete with AWS?
- Word vs. Google Docs vs. Office 365.
- Uber has spent at least $4bn?
BONUS LINKS! Not Covered in show
AWS Sentinel is Coming
- Skunkworks-ish project from AWS for managed services. Potentially lots of partner conflict
- “MSPs need to work with customers to convert their infrastructure to Platform-as-a-Service using microservices architecture,” said one AWS partner. “They also need to bring DevOps into the heart of the organization. Unfortunately, most MSPs don’t have the developers that truly understand this.”
- “Few AWS Partners Are Really Surprised By Sentinel’s Emergence“
MariaDB switches away from open source license
- MaxScale proxy switching to commercial-only license
- “The MaxScale move shows MariaDB Corporation wants to switch from a Red Hat-style service and support model to a Sugar-style sole-vendor approach.”
Hashicorp Shuts Down Otto
- Interesting to see an open source project publicly shut down.
Microsoft Open Sources Powershell
- MSFT blog post
- Follows open-sourcing of .NET earlier this year
- available for Linux and Mac OS
- Brandon: first US college football game in Australia
- Matt: Rugby, help me learn it.
- Coté: BCG on two speed IT; Wizard of Oz series.