We discuss Gartner conferences and the two parts of Gartner, the innovator’s dilemma in monitoring and identity, Docker monetizing, and Vegas food.
SPONSOR: Take our awesome, multi-cloud PaaS for a test-ride. Get two free months of Pivotal Web Services. Whether you want to deploy on-premises, in a dedicated public cloud, or just keep using our PaaS, Pivotal Cloud Foundry has everything you need for doing cloud-native applications. Go to cote.io/pivotal for the sign-up code!
- If you like video, see this episodes’ video recording.
- Coté goes to Las Vegas, he can’t escape it. “You want to go by the highway?”
- Two types of analysts: (1.) theory/model holders, and, (2.) “what the fuck is going on?”
- Real people actually go to these Gartner things, and a lot, e.g., 120 in-room active voters.
- Agile survey shows stodginess.
- We can all agree on eggs Benedict on a croissant with lobster.
- Slides for Coté’s talk, recording coming soon…?
Docker Docker Docker
- Docker announcements
Does Matt have a good intro to Unikernals?
- 8 Surprising Facts about Docker Adoption – 6% of DataDog traffic- Surprisingly detailed writeup on how they measured with 7000 customers: containers have an average lifespan of 3 days; while across all companies, traditional and cloud-based VMs have an average lifespan of 12 days.
- Global Continuous Delivery with Spinnaker – Netflix CD tool and AWS, Google, Microsoft and Pivotal on that.
- “Does that come with ‘free’?” – early on, any successful open source community starts wanting the hard stuff for free.
- Citrix spins off GoTo Meeting, cuts 1000 jobs – Gonna focus on the Enterprise.
BONUS LINKS! Not covered in show
- Pandora buys remains of Rdio – The purchase price is $75 million in cash, subject to certain purchase price adjustments.
- Cringely (I thought he retired or something) on Yahoo, IBM and Google (with HPE in the comments)
- CenturyLink exodus
- Time for a new credit card.. goodbye Amex at Costco
- gotta be a MasterCard right?
- Coté at 83,657 miles on AAdvantage – who wants me to go to Australia or NZ?
- It turns out there are some reviews and stars in iTunes. Thanks!
- Brandon: The Inmates are Running the Asylum.
- Matt: YouTube gems Punchcard Smooth Criminal, 6ft Man in 6ft Giant Water Balloon, and: McSweeney’s strikes again: It’s Rotting Decorative Gourd Season Motherfuckers
- Cote: Westin on the strip – free coffee in room, mostly normal hotel, nice walk to Ceaser’s what-have-you, etc.