In this first part of a new series, Matt Curry and I discuss many of the problems with transforming how a large company uses IT. From dealing with businesses cases, the finance department, and changing how the business thinks about using IT, there are numerous organizational change problems to chew on. This launches a new series of episodes in Lords of Computing where Matt and I will talk interview various folks out there who are going through transformation at their company. We’re interested in hearing what’s work and not worked for them.
Show-notes and Links
- Matt in Twitter, Coté in Twitter
- Avatar pictures
- Excel is a white-collar battering ram.
- Management as programming the orginization
- The Wolf in CIO’s Clothing
- Despite a mandate, you have to convince people to do their job
- Leading the Transformation and A Practical Approach to Large-Scale Agile Development
- Negotiating a business case – finding out what’s “really” needed.
- “The Business doesn’t know what they actually want.”
- Getting the business to understand programming, and vice-versa.
- Having a roadmap vs. documented features – flow vs. fully specified goal