Once we settle the important topic of lawn management in Texas, we discuss the circus around HP dress codes (and the actual lack of them), HP/Stackato, GitHub and the ALM market, and the odd fate of the GPL in commercial software land.
SPONSOR: Take our awesome, multi-cloud PaaS for a test-ride. Get two free months of Pivotal Web Services. Whether you want to deploy on-premises, in a dedicated public cloud, or just keep using our PaaS, Pivotal Cloud Foundry has everything you need for doing cloud-native applications. Go to cote.io/pivotal for the sign-up code!
- If you like video, see this episodes’ video recording.
- Grass in Texas.
- Amazon turns a profit Amazon continues to rip shit up – “Last year, Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos said AWS was on its way to becoming a $5 billion business. With revenue of $3.389 billion in the first six months of 2015, AWS is now on course to becoming more of a $6 billion business — and if sales continue to increase at this pace in the next six month, $7 billion is definitely a possibility.”
- Back of the Envelope Podcast, RIP
- Google’s Sri Lanka balloons
- Big changes at Citrix.
- What’s up with CloudStack? Matt Ray says licensing in it’s past.
- The GPL Paradox.
- HP brings a dress code, but then clarifies that they don’t have one, actually.
- In more serious news, HP buys Stackato. No socks in a professional context.
- GitHub raises $250 million – Kinda obvious quotes and commentary, but that’s a lot of money. “The funding reflects the growing importance of software to all businesses, not just technology companies, and a greater comfort with collaborating on software development and sharing computer code.” Donnie’s 140 char Analyst Note.
- IDC’s 2014 ALM market-sizing – $1.1 billion by 2017. So all developer tools might be like $4-5bn MAX…?
- Twilio raises $130 million – “Fidelity and T. Rowe Price drove the latest funding round.”
- Coté recorded a Kea Company podcast recording, following up on his piece on the industry analyst market. The panel had Phil Fersht from HfS, William Tincup, and Horace. Probably out in a week or so?
BONUS LINKS not covered in show
- Brandon: Brandon goers beyond the paywall, signs up for a Gimlet subscription. AwesomeBoring.
- Matt: We Put a Chip in It. Also, how bow tie pasta is made.
- Coté: Check It Out Bevis tumblr