It’s mostly links this week, with a big add video ad for my pal below:
Get your lurn on
Do you want to bone up on your product management skills? Check out this two day workshop from Craftman PM. I used to work with Prabhakar and he’s anything but boring when it comes to opinions around product. Check out more details, and if you use the code COTE when registering, you’ll get $250 off!
Tech & Work World
- Gartner Says Worldwide PC Shipments Declined 9.5 Percent in Second Quarter of 2015 – They say it’s an anomaly, high dollar and all that. Here’s the EMEA drill down: “Some 18.6 million desktops, notebooks and premium ultra mobiles found their way into outlets in the three months, that is down 15.7 per cent, or 3.47 million fewer units, year on year.”
- TechReckoning Dispatch, Vol. 2, No. 9. July 8, 2015 – “Holy platform power, Batman, we just invented PaaS!” See Troyer outline the walk to all these cloud platforms building “the PaaS that we don’t call PaaS.” Also, his newsletter is delightful.
- Here’s why you should expect airline disruptions to get worse – It’s nice how they turn it around at the end.
- Amazon moves nearer Platform as a Service concept with new developer tools – More for the “Amazon competes with everyone” file.
- In its Transition to a Service Company, Rackspace Embraces Azure – Rackspace to sell support for Azure, meaning they’re not just about OpenStack. Cats and dogs living together!
- Social media and closing sales quota – n=511, of mostly B2B sellers split between enterprise and SMB. From 2012, and a marketing piece, obviously. It says: use social media.
- How Docker has made life awesome for SOASTA DevOps – speeding up the creation of the work-station with promises of deploying your laptop into production, so to speak.
- Docker and the Three Ways of DevOps – Part 1, 2, and 3 – John Willis has a nice series up related the use of containers to DevOps, which I finally got around to reading.
Fun & IRL
Things are working out
It’s our 10th wedding anniversary (yay us!) so we’re treating ourselves to a little downtown Austin fun. We’ll be checking out the newish W down there. I’ll report back if it’s zaney. They got vinyl in the bar, man.
Leave your shoes at the door
FRONTSIDE.IO – HIRE THEM! Do you need some developer talent? When you have a web project that needs the “A Team,” call The Frontside. They’ve spent years honing their tools and techniques that give their clients cutting-edge web applications without losing a night’s sleep. Learn more at http://frontside.io/cote