This week, we discuss Red Hat and it’s slow and steady nature. We also talk about RedMonk’s programming language ranking and the role of Go in infrastructure software, recent industry analyst ranking, calendars, and our recommendations as always.
SPONSOR: Take our awesome, multi-cloud PaaS for a test-ride. Get two free months of Pivotal Web Services. Whether you want to deploy on-premises, in a dedicated public cloud, or just keep using our PaaS, Pivotal Cloud Foundry has everything you need for doing cloud-native applications. Go to cote.io/pivotal for the sign-up code!
- If you like video, see this episodes’ video recording.
- Purple bathrobe from DevOpsDays Amsterdam, front and back.
RedMonk Programming Language Index
- RedMonk’s language un-ranking is out, Swift (#18) and Go (#15) still on the rise
Rated by GitHub and StackExchange talk.
Also notice that they’re getting sponsorship from HP!
- Go in infrastructure software
- Ping pong and foosball – what’s the deal?
Thoughts on the Red Hat Summit?
- More coverage of Red Hat stuff converging into a “cloud platform”
- A weak case for “open source” taking over enterprise IT.
- What are the Red Hat Summit people asking about? Compliance and other exciting topics.
Rating analyst firms considered dangerous?
- Check out the comments on this recent IIAR ranking of firms for the usual fighting about analysts…
- Including the analysts of analysts poking each other in the eye… IIAR, Duncan, and KCG. Keep it classy!
- RUMOR: Digital Ocean raises $83 million – “Today, DigitalOcean is ranked as the third largest hosting company in the world in terms of number of web sites hosted, behind Amazon Web Services and French company OVH, and has grown 14x in the last year, from 10,000 sites hosted to 140,000.” – “…bringing its overall funding to $90.4 million”