After discussing which days holidays usually land on, we discuss the news out of DockerCon, along with some unicorn talk based on a recent a16z chart-fest of tech funding. Then we talk ROI. It’s riveting!
SPONSOR: Take our awesome, multi-cloud PaaS for a test-ride. Get two free months of Pivotal Web Services. Whether you want to deploy on-premises, in a dedicated public cloud, or just keep using our PaaS, Pivotal Cloud Foundry has everything you need for doing cloud-native applications. Go to cote.io/pivotal for the sign-up code!
- If you like video, see this episodes’ video recording.
“Rise of the infrastructure plumbers”
It’s DockerCon this week…
- Everything announced at DockerCon 2015
- Docker joining the OCP effort
- “The Docker client, engine, daemon, orchestration tools, etc. will continue to live at Docker… We will continue to provide a well-integrated tool chain for developers. We are purposely not trying to standardize the many things which are in areas where there is still a diversity of opinions and approaches.” (official Docker blog post)
- VMware getting more API friendly, wrapping containers in VMs and such-like.
- IBM showing up big
- Some momentum stats: “They have grown from a project launched by Solomon Hykes in 2013 to a one that has 40,000 Docker-based tools and over 150,000 Docker-based applications. It has been downloaded more than 500 million times.”
- Microsoft buying Docker? – “investors wouldn’t sell for less than $3.5 billion”
- Related: blogs as the new press release.
- Check out the Mckinsey titles!
- “And tech IPOs are essentially dead”
- Discussion from Ben Thompson.
- “Realtime” Unicorn tracker
- I’ve been trying to figure this out of late.
- Saving money on one option vs. another?
- Creating growth?
- Proof that you made a good choice?
- ROI = (Gains – Cost)/Cost; e.g. ($20,000 – $10,000)/$10,000 = 100% ROI (yes, I made it a percentage, math nerds)
- Theory: ROI is only a useful metric for comparing costs of things, and if the gain is well understood and predictable.
- The DevOpsDays Austin recordings are up – Coté’s talk, Matt Ray debate, Damon’s value stream mapping, etc.
- Lords of Computing podcast – acquisitions are hard
- Red Hat share price hits 15 year high