With a new round of funding in Docker, we discuss the ecosystem around Docker and how different vendors might be thinking through their involvement. This brings up a broader discussion of the ecosystems around OpenStack and Cloud Foundry, and even the Apache Software Foundation.
SPONSOR: Come check out the Cloud Foundry Summit, May 11th and 12th. You’ll hear how companies are using Cloud Foundry to create software defined businesses and get the latest technical details on Cloud Foundry. Register with the code COTE to get 25% off!
If you like video, see this episodes’ video recording.
- $95M “Currently, Docker is investing heavily in its go-to-market strategy, but also in the technology stack where it plans to expand the platform’s capabilities with a focus on networking, security and storage tools around its service.”
- thenewstack.io coverage, goin’ for the gold: “‘For us to become a public company — which is certainly our intention,” Golub told The New Stack’s Alex Williams, ‘we’ve got a long road ahead of us that includes not only continued growth in open source, and developing a healthy ecosystem around it, but also proving there’s a solid revenue model. All the signs are very, very good, all the momentum is there, and the next several years are going to be about solid execution, both on the community and on the commercial side.'”
- 120 employees
- “Last year Docker earned less than $10 million in revenue, Golub confirmed.”
- And as always, The Future of Everything.
- Coté to explain the uneasy feel everyone (read: vendors!) has about Docker: it seems like they’re winner takes all.
- Twitter turns off the Firehose (Matt) – Be careful building your company on someone else’s good graces
- Speaking of crazy-ass valuations, Ben Thompson’s 1999 – How the IPO landscape has changed, specifically related to Growth Capital.
More Ecosystem Talk
Cloud Foundry on the CloudCast and Coté’s explanation of the Cloud Foundry Foundation and ecosystem.
BONUS: Shameless Self Promotion:
- Lords of Computing Interview with Alex Williams of thenewstack.io
- Guest post on how PaaS helps DevOps at thenewstack